A Travellerspoint blog

Riding the white stuff

There's nowhere to hide in a bright red uniform

semi-overcast -4 °C

Friday was our first day without too much to do. There has still been no snow and it is only thanks to the snow makers that the main run will be open for the weekend. We were up quite early to go and see Estela about our payroll paperwork in order to get our staff passes for the hill and, as importantly, to ensure we get paid! We took our boards up to take advantage of the free waxing for instructors and met a nice telemark skiier, Steve who works in the repair shop.

After the first board wax

The paperwork took a bit of time but we were back on our way home (the 5 minute walk, which we had driven) by about 11. We aren't just lazy though, we had brought the car up for a reason. We took it onto the main car park to test out driving on snow and using the 4x4. It felt ok but then I was still driving pretty slowly, but you could feel the extra power needed when you get into slightly deeper snow (like 4-5cm). Christian's attitude to an empty car park was a little more gung-ho than mine and whilst I'm sure it always feels a bit faster as a passenger he managed to drift around one of his turns. He did however use a cunning bit of counter steering and an innocent facial expression to try and hide it from me (didn't work!).

Feeling a bit happier about moving our half tonne behemoth, we headed home for some inactivity. We spent our relaxed afternoon hanging posters to make the place a bit more "us" and even received a mail from the landlords allowing us to hang up the antlers, so at some point soon we will have our own Christmas coat rack on display (having brought them all the way over from England this is good news).

In the afternoon we drove into town to do a massive food shop so our house would be full of good things to eat. Browsing up and down the aisles, we were shocked when we heard a women telling us to get out the way as she was coming through. A rude person in Canada! It can't be! We looked up with an expression of shock and anger to find that the rude lady was infact Liana who was laughing away. Phew, it still looks like all Canadians are nice. We bought all the essentials such as: cereal, milk, chicken, rice, pasta etc. as well as some foods from the non-essential but never the less tasty category: pancake mix, maple syrup, marshmallows and tim-tams! Laden with bags we headed home, smug in the knowledge that this time it would be Troy and not us lugging our shopping up the hill.

In Canada food is sold in big portions

The rest of the day was pretty mellow, with some preparation and an early night for our first day at work tomorrow.
Happy Birthday Adam and Glen I hope you had a good one.

Shakespear getting ready for lessons tomorrow!

Saturday 13th: -16 C, snowy!

At last the gods of snow have answered our prayers and we woke to see over a foot of snow covering the back garden. We made sure to grab our pack lunches (as we have no money at all at the moment) and a mug each so we can get our free hot chocolate.

As we had walked up to the front of the house we saw poor Troy covered in snow, his box was full of snow and he was wearing a very tall white hat on his cab. We'd have to dig him out later or we'd be late for work. It was also a lot colder that previous days and as we walked up to work in our jeans, hats and coats carrying our snowboards, the thin woollen gloves we were wearing didn't quite do the job and so we ended up wearing our snowboard boots as gloves instead.

Poor Troy all covered in snow

When we got in we went to the lockers and put on our uniforms. We felt a bit like fakes as we walked around with the respect and recognition of being staff and high level snowboarders (oh God what happens when we fall over!).

Christian and Sarah in our uniforms

Despite the nights dump, it was still not enough to open any more runs and so the hill was pretty empty. Therefore no private lessons at 9am. Instead we went up the hill with Dan and Trevor, our new work colleagues, for a bit of a free ride. The snow was not that great and the light was pretty flat so it was hard to see the hills contours, which didn't help us to feel more confident on our first run.

Glowing like beacons in our full red costumes we tried not to look like novice riders to the guests on the lift or the other guys we were riding with. I still went a bit slower than the rest as I needed to get back the snow legs before I'd feel confident with speed and you don't want to injure yourself on day one. Ooops, spoke too soon! As I looked up Christian disappeared over a powdery lip at the side of the run and didn't reappear. Going a lot slower I approached the lip and as I hit the powder I could feel that just under the surface was a pile of boulders, not nice. I peered over the edge and Christian was sat up (good sign) but holding his head and looking a bit bashed up (not so good). He had hit one of the boulders and fallen into the snow on his head and his neck was feeling a bit squashed.

Fortunatly he was up again and not hurting too much but we said we'd see how it felt in half an hour. We rode all the way down and headed up for a second lap. Still the legs felt a bit wobbly, I hope no one was watching.

At the end of this run Dan had a lesson to teach and it was getting a bit chilly so we went in for free hot chocolate round 1. As a precaution we decided to use the time before the next bell (that's the times we meet outside to pick up new lessons) to get Chris' neck checked out by snow patrol. The conclusion was that he's not too broken but to stay off the hill to check it didn't get worse. This seemed like an opportune moment for free hot chocolate round 2.

As we were off the snow already we decided to try and meet our commitment to speak to 3 guests a day, and our own commitment to speak to other staff. So we got chatting to Lisa in the coffee shop (made sure the person letting us have free hot chocolate was on side) and Mitch the liftie (lifties always hate instructors as we get to ride whilst they stand out in the cold so thought we'd let them know we're quite nice really). We then saw Steve the wax guy and as we'd spotting him shredding the hill on his telemarks earlier we said hey. He introduced us to Abi his girlfriend, which was a double bonus as a) she was not staff and so she counted as one of our 3 a day and b) she is in marketing for the houses being built just up from ours so she can let us have a nosey around. We made a deal that if we send guests to look at her properties she'll tell people that they should get private lessons with us! Finally we met Paul, a ski instructor from Nottingham.

The main run on the way up the lift

At the next bell Liana took us out for a recap on beginner progression. It is all pretty easy and the quick reminder made us feel more confident about getting out there and teaching people. It wasn't getting any warmer and my toes were starting to feel a bit numb so I was trying to jump around a bit and as we came off the bunny hill for a last big run down before lunch they weren't coming back to life.

Down for lunch and I took my boots off, it was the beginnings of frost bite and Liana suggested that I stay off the hill for the rest of the day. It was beginning to get embarassing, what a disaster area the 2 of us were looking like on day one.

After lunch Christian shadowed a lesson, whilst I just stood around. I watched Dan and Liana's lessons for some hints and tips and checked out boot warmers in the shop. Lets hope my toes haven't fallen off by the time I get some money in my account. Even managed to chat to another guest, 2 down and 1 to go.

Whilst Sarah pottered around the resort observing lessons and keeping warm, I shadowed one of Lianas lessons. It was with a single Australian guy who was not absolutely rubbish. It was nice to see how a true beginner can progress from wobbly on a board and unconfident to do anything, through the first few stages of beginner progression. It really got me excited to teach as he was clearly excited to be learning and found it beneficial. It was also a good excuse to talk to him as one of the guests and also some of the other beginners who were learning on the bunny slope. Three guests down, target achieved! I'm now really looking forward to more shadowing or teaching on my own even if I'm still a bit nervous.

Once Christian's lesson was over we went inside to get changed and drunk free hot chocolate round 3 (how many free hot chocolates is taking the mickey?). Then we went upstairs to the Stemwinder bar to see some of the other instructors. But as we had no money for a drink and Christian's neck was in need of some TLC we soon went home for a hot tub.

A tasty dinner of bangers and mash

After the hot tub we had a warming dinner of sausage, mash and gravy and as a treat for dessert we had ice cream and maple syrup. This would have been the perfect end to the day except, whilst serving out the ice cream, I decided to lick the ice cream scoop and got my lip frozen to it, which bled when I ripped it off. I won't be doing that again! (Yes she will!)

Sunday 14th: -24C sunny

As our second day of work began we knew it would be cold as we had been told yesterday. The temperature was supposed to be dropping to chilly -24, partially due to the complete lack of clouds. So we walked to work under blue skys wrapped up extra warm. Not warm enough! Within minutes of leaving the house both of our hair had frozen solid and my moustache had turned into an icy mess. So looking like jack frost himself we arrived at work and got into our uniforms again.

A Frozen Face

Walking out into the meeting place to find out if there were any lessons today, we met up with Liana. She revealed that the inhabitants of Kimberley were sensible people and had decided to stay home in their cosy beds. Not only were there no lessons this morning but we didn't even see any guests for the first half of the day. So instead of taking us out into the freezing weather Liana took us inside to show us the rental board setup that most of our students would be riding on. We saw this as a golden opportunity for, you guessed it, free hot chocolate!

This was also the moment when we met two of the part-time snowboard instructors, Eric and Krystal. Having finished of the demo and our hot chocolate, we went of for our first run of the day. It was nice to be back on the board again and our snow legs were begining to return, but we were all thankful to get down to the much lower, and therefore warmer, beginner slope.

Liana, our boss and a load of the ski insructors try to keep warm

The other snowboard instructors

We started heading through more of the progression and were very happy to find all of the knowledge and skills coming back fairly quickly. However we still wanted to practice tuning down our riding for the demos, and so when Liana told us that we had an hour and a half free until lunch, thats what we did. Playing around with our demos and some park riders progression we lapped the magic carpet (the travelator for beginners) until our toes were beginning to go numb. This was the sign for lunch.

But it was not meant to be. Heading into the staff room for lunch we were grabbed by Liana who had taken it upon herself to reorganise the staff room so more people could sit down in it. As Sarah got suckered into shifting furniture around, I started making lunch. It wasn't until half way through microwaving the thickest soup known to man that Sarah came and checked on the progress. Quickly pointing out that the word 'Concentrate' took up most of the front of the can I realised I had made a mistake in not reading the instructions. However some ladeling here and there and a top up of hot water solved the problem and we were soon sipping on delicious hot tomato soup.

Christian in the cold and Steezy Sarah

The afternoon saw us finish of the progression and another hot chocolate before being released for the day. Now free until the resort open for good on friday we headed home. It was a quick turnaround however as we wanted to get into town before shops shut so we could buy Troy a cable for his block heater. We were worried about leaving him out in the cold, so wanted to plug him in so his oil didn't freeze overnight. This required us to shovel about a foot of snow of him, and more impotantly, the driveway before we could leave.

Shovelling the driveway

A foot of snow in Troy's box

We got into town just in time to find out the hardware store closed an hour ago and so we took the chance to finish of our shopping for ingredients for Christmas dinner and buy the all important tree. Loaded up with festive goodies we headed back home, and having been twarted to buy a block heater cable we instead put Troy in the garage. This was not as easy as it sounds as neither me nor Sarah have ever tried to park in a garage with the same volume as the vehicle we were parking.

Along the Platzl

A scraper for the car and a tin for cake making

We soon managed it and still feeling the festive spirit we spent the rest of our evening making snowflakes out of paper and cooking a yummy stir fry.

Posted by HOODnDIGS 11:53 Archived in Canada Comments (0)

Professional steak eaters hit the road

The birth of our big, black baby

sunny -5 °C

Wednesday morning was a morning of sorting. We had wanted to go into Cranbrook and check out trucks but we never got a response from the lady who runs the bus so that didn't happen. So instead we did stuff about our new home, like test out the washing machine and dish washer.

In the afternoon we had to head back up the hill for 2 hours of presentations for all the new staff. It was interesting to see so many new faces as it was not just the ski school but all the food and beverage staff, the lifties, the snow makers and cat drivers, people in retail and rental and a load of corporate people from head office. This session seemed a little more formal than the first one as there was a projector and an agenda. There was a bit of boring intros and then a lady spoke about service with no boundaries, a system used at Kimberley to allow all staff the autonomy to improve a customers day. It is a nice idea where if we see someone having a bad time we can give them a free drink or ski wax or even a meal or a ski pass to compensate them and cheer them up.

The next session was the best. Trainer and stand-up comic, Dean, taught a session on how to meet and greet clients at Kimberley. He told us how to be proactive and friendly to everyone without freaking them out by us all going up to them for no reason and asking how they are and where they are from every 2 seconds. He got us chatting with some of the other staff so we got to know a few people and he made us all make the commitment to talk to 3 guests every day.

In the Stemwinder

All of the talks we had had were very interesting but they were over shadowed by the suprise that came next. We had to go and register ourselves as staff and what department we work in and as a reward were given two free drink tickets and then allowed to fill up our plates with an assortment of free food. Better yet, half way through eating our generous helpings of steak and lasagne we realised that we were actually on paid time, and so were being paid to eat food. This realisation had come as a suprise to everyone as we went and sat with some of the other faces we recognised from yesterday.

Free food - and we were being paid to sit and eat it

We sat and enjoyed our free beers and wine whilst chatting to some of the new and some of the old ski instructors (we couldn't find either of the other 2 snowboard instructors at the time, or else we wouldn't be caught dead talking to skiiers). A short while later we were invited out to go to one of the local pubs called The Sullivan, or Sully to us locals. We had noticed this pub earlier as it was the one boasting itself as a schnitzel free zone. We sat and talked for a while about all sorts of things before kindly (and slightly drunkenly) being driven back to our place by Adrian, another new recruit.

Bart and Chris - Ski Instructors

Adrian, Archie and Anne - Ski Instructors whose names begin with A

Having organised the shuttle to Cranbrook earlier in the day we went to sleep with the hope of finding our truck tomorrow.

Up early on Thursday, we were picked up at 8:30 by the bus from outside our own front door (you don't get that kind of service in London). There were only 2 other people on the bus when we got on and, in the typical Canadian style that we are now becoming accustomed to, they were both very friendly. One of the guys, who we nicknamed Crazy Ron, started up a conversation with us immediately. He had had a stroke and was pretty difficult to understand and as he continued into his 3rd enthusiastic sentence I could read Christian's eyes saying "Please help me out here". So both of us got into a long conversation about buying a truck with Ron and he really was very friendly and quite helpful. He must have told us about 10 times that old cars are the best because they don't have computer chips in them and you can fix them yourself, which seemed reasonable. But we chose to to ignore the second piece of advice that if you want a good truck, something from the 70's would be best (we're not sure if Crazy Ron knows what year it is). But if whatever we buy breaks down we'll be sure to look him up as he was telling us how he attached skis to his mobility scooter to get down the hills faster.

The mountains from Cranbrook

Into Cranbrook and niftily avoiding Ron's offer to come with us to check out the vehicle, we were dropped at the Ford garage (another example of better than London service). Paul the salesman did a quick job in finding out what we were after and getting us inside a big red Ford truck. It was huge and everything inside it looked alien; a 4 wheel drive gear stick, an automatic stick shift, an overdrive button, wheel tilt, an emergency foot brake and half suicide doors for the rear passegers, not to mention the extra 5 foot of length and 3 foot of height than I am used to. I was a bit worried about being asked to test drive it!

However, once the ice had melted we did! Paul (thankfully) drove it over the curb and onto the road and then parked up so I could get in. More like a driving lesson that a sales pitch, he talked me though how to get the thing going and some of the lesser known rules of the road in Canada. It felt like I was driving a tank but with the wide roads and simple junctions I soon felt more comfortable. Just as I thought my nerves were calming it was Christian's turn to give it a drive. He did a commendable job and managed to look far less nervous than me.

We had a look at another truck, slightly older but still a Ford F150. It was black, and though lacking a canopy, had much better looking wheels (one bit of advice everyone gave us was get good snow tyres). It was cheaper too and black is much cooler than red. After much debate, fund finding and negotiation we agreed to get it! We had to leave whilst they spruced him up for us and so tried to waste some time in the local mall.

The mall in Cranbrook

In true style we managed to find another slightly odd but friendly lady in the mall that wanted to chat to us. She was in her 40's for sure and in a furry green tracksuit but shook hands with us like she was from the hood. She told us that she likes to give people hugs and told me not to be cross if she hugged Christian "It's not me you need to worry about" I thought. We entertained ourselves on demo massage chairs, the only thing of real interest in the mall, and bought a mobile phone. Then we hurried back to pick up our new baby!!

We signed lots of forms and sorted the insurance and at last got given the keys to our truck, Troy.

Officially ours - The keys to Troy the Truck

Christian and Troy

Driving home was a little hairy but I did it nice and slowly (Mum would have been proud). When we were home I rewarded myself with a yummy jacket potato and bolognase sause for tea. But the stress of it all was obviously too much for my frail being and I felt a bit ill and so went straight to bed. Good old Christian sorted out the house before sleeping himself.

Posted by HOODnDIGS 11:44 Archived in Canada Tagged automotive Comments (0)

Getting Organised

A big left foot and a small pair of trousers!

semi-overcast -3 °C

The deer saying good morning outside our front door

This morning we woke to see deers outside our door, chewing on a fallen fir tree. We were very excited and went outside to see them and they didn't seem worried by us at all. It was a great start to the day and even better was the fact that our landlords had e-mailed us to tell us how to use the shower, which had stumped us yesterday. Maybe we are fools for not being able to turn on a shower, or maybe the company who designed a secret ring under the bath tap that you have to pull down to make the shower work didn't consider that most shower users don't expect to have to carry a manual in with them.

After showering we put on our new snowboard boots to try them out and I found that the left boot was half a size bigger than the right one, agghhh! In the afternoon we had appointments booked with the Post Office and the bank in town. We saved ourselves quite a bit of money as we got our PO box for free and the nice bank lady let us both off our first months payment for our accounts. This was a good job as we had just reached a zero balance at the Bank of Sarah's Wallet.

As this was our second trek into town and, whilst having found a better route down the hill, we still took 25 mins to get down, the thought of a vehicle was getting more alluring. So we went into a car insurance company to ask a few questions. We found out that in Canada there is no road tax (good for us), that all vehicles get new plates when you insure them and that they are happy to accept my 6 years no claims to reduce our insurance and still let Christian drive at no extra charge, despite having passed his test last month (more good news).

We headed back up the hill to eat a Oliver Twist sized bowl of noodles, the result of our diminished funds, and treated outselves to a dip in the hot tub.

The base at Kimberley

On Tuesday we had our first orientation meeting with the ski school. It was like being a new kid at school. When we arrived, most people were already there sat on tables with their friends. We met Liana (properly) and Steve who supervise the snowboard and ski schools.They were very friendly and the whole attitude here seems very laid back. We got taken through a load of stuff on the resort and health and safety, it was a bit of an information overload but we figured a lot of it would be easier to pick up and remember on the job. The important things that we found out were that we get unlimited free hot chocolate and money off at the restaurants and ski shop on the hill. We were also told how and when we get paid, but at the moment the time card and all the different kinds of class vouchers look a little complicated.

After all this we got to go to the locker room and pick up our uniform. Being aware of both of our height issues, we decided to leave all the form filling and rush down to get first dibs on gear. Despite our haste I still found that XS was too big and Chris found that XL was a little snug. So, whilst I will look like one of the kids in big, baggy, 'steazy' kit, Christian will be more "hot-dog" with his tight ankle-swingers and possible suspenders to stop the baggy, "fat man" waist from falling down. Though it may sound like we got a rough deal our speediness allowed us to a least get unifroms that were fully intact. All the kit is about 10 years old and often velcro is breaking up, material is hanging off and some parts are just plain missing.

Outside the ski school

After we had selected our uniforms, been given our name tags (newly brandishing our country of origin) and filled in all of the vast quantity of paper work that we could, we were treated to a short tour around the base area of the resort. We had both the day lodge (where our lockers were hidden away in the staff room) and the bar, named the Stemwinder, same as the road we live on, pointed out to us. This last one was clearly an important point as it would be one of the main places we will spend our time. We were also shown the tiny new ski school office. It is a small log cabin big enough for about 10 people to be in at once with the greatest fire escape plan in the world, 'Go around desk, exit through door'. The rental and retail shops were the last key features of the tour before ending off at the local restaurant, Kelseys, where we were informed we got money off. We were then let go until tomorrow when we will have a talk on some of the other key features of being a member of staff at an RCR resort.

The main run in Kimberley

Despairing at the thought of doing the the long walk down into town again, we had to go and do a food shop if we wanted any dinner. And so we set off again on the long way downhill. We had agreed after last nights meagre helping of food we need something home cooked rather than instant. And for this we needed funds. We decided that there was no point in waiting any longer for money to transfer from England as so withdrew a small amount from the ATM on the way towards the shops. We had also decided by this point that Canada was a very cold place and as such was not supposed to be walked in. So in order to combat this cold we chose a closer market rather than walking an extra ten minutes each way to get to Overwaitea. Once inside we proceeded on our first proper food shop in Canada and the end result was a number of meals for the following week. The menu for that night consisted of Spaghetti Bolognase and it was with wide eyes and salivating mouths we tucked into our first home cooked meal.

Posted by HOODnDIGS 11:31 Archived in Canada Tagged living_abroad Comments (1)

Our first day in Kimberley

Exploring our new home town

overcast 1 °C

Our luggage in the lounge

As our luggage was now spread all over the lounge and taking up a great deal of our floorspace, our first mission for the day was to check the inventory for the house and then unpack our stuff. As we were now tasked with checking every room it was as good an excuse as any to look around our new home. The house has all new furniture, as we are the first people to live here as a furnished apartment.

Our kitchen

We have a nice spacious living area with a big TV, and a kitchen with lots of good appliances, including a dishwasher so we don't have to do the washing up. It has massive black hot chocolate mugs with red squirlys on them.

Our bedroom

Our bedroom is nice and cosy with plenty of storage space for all our stuff, and lots of alien eyes staring out of the wood beams in the ceiling. And for those of you thinking of coming over, our spare room has a double bed and is about the same size as our room, it even has a TV. Another luxury is the washing machine and tumble dryer making it very easy to clean our smelly snowboard socks without having to visit the laundromat!

The BBQ and the hottub

Even the outside of our house is quite exciting, because we have our own four man hottub and a bbq for cooking those big Canadian moose steaks. The landlords even let us use their garage to store our snowboards and their drive to (hopefully) store our truck.

Outside our house

Once all of the unpacking was done we decided to walk into town. Unfortunately, as newcomers to Kimberley we walked the longest way possible, down a busy mountain road with scarily close traffic roaring by. However upon making it into town entirely intact we found a lovely little coffee shop where we got some lunch. Again overestimating our knowledge of Canadian customs we ordered two sandwiches to snack on, before discovering that they were made from an entire loaf of bread cut in half, with a pig and lettuce stuffed in between. Sarah only managed half, I managed her leftovers.

Kimberley is styled on a Bavarian town and as a result, the first 'local' we met was an Austrian giftshop owner / professional yodeller / accordian playing ski instuctor (no lie). We can't wait to see him in action! In the Germanic theme, the main pedestrianised street in Kimberley is called the Platzl and is dotted with rather kitsch souvenir shops and the worlds largest free standing cuckoo clock. To explain how into this mock-Euro style they are here, there is a mascot called Happy Hans, the butchers is full of bratwurst and one of the pubs promotes itself as a Schnitzel-free zone.

We walked all the way to the supermarket and then all the way back up to the resort. The round trip was about an hour and a half of walking time.

Kimberley Alpine Resort

After dumping the food at home we walked up for our first glance of the hill and were disappointed, but unsurprised to see grass poking through the runs in quite a few places. Christian did however manage to find enough snow to make his first snowball and get me cleanly down the back of my neck.

The first snowball

Posted by HOODnDIGS 11:21 Archived in Canada Tagged living_abroad Comments (0)

Day 2 in Calgary

Greyhounds away!

sunny -1 °C

On strolling into Calgary on our second day we realised it was not as big as we had first thought...

Just Chillin


Putting my feet up

Therefore, it wasn't long before we came across a coffee shop for a brunch of mac cheese and Rice Krispie squares (oh the healthiness).

Rice Krispies breakfast

2 days is more than enough to see the whole of Calgary and so we headed towards the only interesting thing left, Calgary Tower. However, on getting there we decided it wasn't interesting enough to pay to go up, so here it is from the bottom.

Calgary Tower from the bottom

But, we did find these 2 friendly fellows:

Bartholomew Beaver and Mordrid the Moose

We strolled about town and checked out a few outdoor stores on the pedestrianised Stephen Avenue, which had quite nice old fashioned buildings on it. At the end of the street we chanced upon a public ice rink and a statue of George Bush in womens clothes (I think it was just some ugly lady, but I'll let you decide). It was nice to sit in the sunny, fresh air and watch the public showing off or falling over on the ice and so we chilled here for a while whilst finishing off our Rice Krispie squares.

Ice Skaters

Chris and Sarah and Dubya in Drag

We dropped by Eatons shopping centre, but Disney girl wasn't there, so we grabbed an early dinner instead before our long journey to Kimberley. Filled up on Chinese stir fry from the food hall, we headed back to start the unenviable task of getting 7 bags across Calgary to the Greyhound bus stop. We got a cab. But even getting them all across the hall was a difficult task.

After a thorough bag search and frisk we were allowed on the bus to start our 6 hour journey to Kimberley. Pretty boring trip as it was all in the dark, so we watched snowboard podcasts and played with my new iPod. Then I slept whilst Christian kept watch, just in case Kimberley appeared 3 hours early (not a worrier at all, hehe).

Just before we got there a herd of deer decided to walk in the road and we could see them all slowly ambling out of the way in the headlights. They knew that deer are bigger and more important than greyhounds.

By the time we arrived it was 11pm, a time that still felt like 3 in the morning to our adjusting bodies, so we weren't the most sociable when Liana, our new boss, picked us up and drove all our stuff up to our home. Despite the tiredness, we were excited to see our new place and only a little worried when the keys wouldn't open the door. We used the main key to get into the landlords part of the chalet. It is enormous and all wooden and beamy. We chucked our stuff inside the main house, thanked Liana and promised to see her on Tuesday at the staff induction.

The banishment from our apartment was shortlived as we got in through the main house and found that the snib had been left on and our key issues were over. Exhaused we wanted to just crash, but had to look round all our rooms first. Then we did crash out in our new bedroom.

Posted by HOODnDIGS 10:05 Archived in Canada Tagged bus Comments (0)

(Entries 26 - 30 of 32) « Page 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »